Tuesday, April 28, 2009

melora

Any real plans that I had for an insightful blog post today faded away as our internet sporadically died. Not sure what was going on, but we were without it for most of the day. Robert would say, "hey, it's working again!" and by the time I got around to checking my email, it wouldn't be working. However, it's fine this evening!


So, who else is in love with Melora Creager? If you don't know who she is, she basically IS the band Rasputina, an amazing cello-rock group. I was absolutely obsessed in high school and constantly tried to emulate Melora's fashion. (My mom would ask me, "are you goth?" I would laugh about it, but I secretly was glad she thought so... hahaha.) Rasputina has this creepy, Victorian asthetic that was just so intriguing and new to me back then [example: The Olde Headboard video]. Not only is Melora's music amazing, but she also tells hilarious jokes in between songs at her recitals. AND she's been known to get crafty, selling homemade perfumes and strange little satchels with mysterious things in them at shows and on the website. I've only seen Rasputina live once, in 2006, but it was without a doubt the most exciting show I've ever been to.

Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is because Melora was just on the cover of origiVation, a magazine I've never heard of. They did a feature on musicians' fashion, and she was one of the people featured. You can see the whole issue here (skip to pages 19 and 20 to see her). I personally prefer her white-blonde hair of the past, but I still love the outfits she wears. They are incredibly over the top, but she's allowed to do that. Best quote from this article:

"Less surprisingly, she admitted a love of ripping up vintage dresses and feeling like she's being naughty. 'But it's not like anyone's going to sue you,' she concedes."

Both pictures borrowed from here.

Besides that, she is friends with designer James Coviello, and once played at one of his fashion shows. You can watch some of that here. He is probably the only designer I know anything about, and it's solely because of Rasputina.

Oh, I could go on and on! I've been wanting to do a Rasputina fashion post, but it didn't seem relevant until now. I'm not suggesting anyone try dressing like Melora, but I do enjoy seeing what she wears. I've always felt more inspired (fashion-wise) by music than anything else. Anyone feel the same? Perhaps I'll talk about some more music/fashion icons at a later date!

6 comments:

  1. I have never heard of this girl! She looks so cool! and i wish i was friends with coviello, too! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of her before, but if she's into crafting and fashion then I like her already!
    thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Must confess that I'd never heard of her before, but I just finished watching 'The Olde HeadBoard' video and really liked it! I definitely see how she would inspire people fashion-wise. Even now it seems very new. Thank you for sharing. Also, thank you for the heads up on the little Dutch girls! I really wanted them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cello-rock? Goodness. That makes me want to know more. And James Coviello hook ups. Hurrah. He makes beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone - So glad I could share something new with you! Well, technically not "new" but good enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never heard of her either, but she seems fascinating!

    I have an award for you!

    http://bettymaeartistry.blogspot.com/2009/04/blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!