Monday, February 2, 2009

dress makeover

Photo by Sally Jane Vintage

I bought this great dress the other day from Sally Jane Vintage. I've been on the lookout for more vintage dresses, especially warm ones for winter, and this seemed like it would work! Of course, buying clothes online is always somewhat risky because even if you check the measurements, you can't exactly try it on beforehand.

I got this in the mail, and I loved it, but it was a bit big on me. I was really sad about it, because I wanted to make it work. So yesterday I gave it a makeover.

My pictures don't do the color any justice! Need more sunlight.

Dress - Sally Jane Vintage
Jumper - Forever 21
Tights - ?
Shoes - vintage // Buffalo Exchange

First of all, I cut out the shoulder pads. I don't need to make my shoulders look big! Then, I did something crazy. It's "dry clean only" and I stuck it in the washing machine. Then I dried it in the dryer. Ha ha! This is a trick that you can do to shrink wool clothing. Most people do it on accident, but it can actually be a helpful tool. Use caution, though! Another thing to keep in mind is that the wool part will shrink, but any liners inside probably won't. (I've had that happen with another dress: after I shrunk it the liner was too long. I sewed a couple of rows of lace onto it and it looked natural).

"Lean to the left," Robert said - he is obviously a natural photographer.

It's still a tiny bit too big in the waist, but I put it under this jumper and I think it looks adorable! I love the bowtie so much. I will find more ways to use this dress! It's really warm and nice.

Aren't these super cute? I wore them for my wedding.

6 comments:

  1. BTW...this is ginating from swap-bot =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the make over - it looks excellent!

    Via swap-bot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina and Kymberly - thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for sharing this! You did a wonderful job with the dress. I knew it had a lot of potential and it ended up with the right girl. That little bow was my favorite part too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adorable! I love it! You're so crafty, it just about makes me jealous. ; )

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!