Friday, January 16, 2009

oatmeal cake

I spent my afternoon baking a cake! It's been quite a while since I've done any baking on my own, though it used to be my primary hobby along with cake decorating. Since my husband's been around we do all our baking together because he's far superior to me in the kitchen. Luckily, I seem to have soaked up some of his knowledge over time - this was the most organized I've ever been while baking!

I based this cake on ingredients we had in the pantry; we're moving soon and don't need to buy any extra food.

Sneak peek! Yum yum!

I was trying to figure out what to do with oatmeal and coconut, and I came upon this recipe for Coconut-Topped Oatmeal Cake. It sounds a little crazy, but when you look at the ingredients (lots of brown sugar and butter) it begins to sound appealing. As far as I know, the batter was delicious and the topping tastes pretty good; the real test will be to see if anyone likes it tomorrow night (I'm taking it to a clothes swap party!).

It looked so pretty in my bundt pan!

For future reference, it was supposed to be made in a rectangular pan. I realized afterward that the purpose of serving it in the rectangular pan was so that the cake would soak up all the buttery coconut topping. I baked it in a bundt pan because I thought it would be prettier that way. I always like round cakes better. I am a round cake elitist. Oh well.

It's kind of terrifying. But it should taste good!

Pro-tip: After you bake a cake, leave the oven open for a while and it will be all warm and cozy and delicious smelling in kitchen! But do not be tempted to climb in the oven.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yum. That looks delicious. I love coconut, but my husband hates it. Naturally, we don't get coconut around here often. I also love round cakes. I love they way they look sitting inside a lovely trifle dish on the counter. This looks positively yummy! You're making me hungry. Now I have to go scrounge for something to eat...

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!