Wednesday, January 21, 2009

inspired by insomnia

Last night turned out to be an interesting experience. It was one of those nights where you lay in bed awake and when you finally look at the clock you realize it's only 1 a.m. and there are so many hours to go before you should be waking up! I think it must be the medication I'm on, because usually when I can't sleep it only lasts an hour or two. This was a special 3 hour (at least) episode!

When I realized I wasn't sleepy at all, I snuck out of bed and got the Nintendo DS. I played Animal Crossing for an hour under the covers (that's right, I didn't want my husband to catch me- he never noticed!). Then I tried to sleep again. My brain was just so busy, busy, busy. I had all the greatest ideas in the world! That's how insomnia goes for me- I just can't stop thinking about things I could be doing. I even made up this *outfit in my head.


coat: Rampage // The Left Handed Monkey (local clothing exchange store that went out of business)
dress and belt: Forever 21
slip: vintage // flea market in New Mexico
shoes: vintage from Second Hand Addiction on Etsy
Super White Legs: they hardly ever see the sun!

I also remembered that I had been wanting to submit poetry or writing to some literary magazines, just to see if I could get anything published. Then I wrote a poem in my head! I actually got up to write it down, just in case. It's based on a fragment of a thing I wrote a while back. I can't write complete stories, but I do manage some decent prose every once in a while. It may not seem so amazing now that I'm fully awake, but we'll see!

I had a brief conversation with my husband at 3 a.m. when he got up to go to the bathroom. He suggested I play video games, and I delightedly told him I already HAD! One of the last things I remember thinking about is what would happen if you accidentally buried a possum alive (if it happened to be playing dead). I guess I eventually went to sleep. But I've had a rough morning. I wasted most of it and then finally took a shower and found a big spurt of energy!

*Note: I'm probably not going to wear this outfit today, I'm just playing dress up.

4 comments:

  1. The coat looks so great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That coat is fantastic. Is that hem scalloped?
    P.S. I really like the heart headband in the above post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just a normal hem, but it does look scalloped the way it's hanging! Thanks for visiting my blog!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!