Thursday, August 27, 2009

exploring franklin

Here are some more pictures from my birthday! This is actually the rest of them, aside from some very silly portraits we took which shall not be appearing here; Robert and I are totally unphotogenic together - every time I try to take a serious picture of us, it turns into an episode of [very unflattering] hilarity.

So! I mentioned in the last post that he took the afternoon off and we went exploring. This was our first time to check out some neat places in the town we recently moved to. I found an excellent antique mall! Here are some highlights.

Shelves of old children's books... very exciting to me!

Light and airy + warm and glowy things!

A painting that I am 99% sure my sister would have purchased. Check that kid out!

OLD DEAD ANIMALS!!! What is this, a museum of natural history? Intriguing.

I saw so many things I wanted, but I didn't buy anything! I have this problem now where I refuse to pay reasonable prices for neat things; I just keep thinking, "I bet I could find this so much cheaper at an estate sale!" Which is true, but also unlikely because I'm not very persistent about treasure hunting. Maybe I'll get over myself one day and buy some nice antiques.

Above: the Franklin Cinema, which is apparently in need of saving. I just noticed there's a bubble in this picture! A bath shop had bubbles blowing all down the sidewalk.

After our walk around downtown, we later ventured out to a cemetery. We're those sort of people - are you that sort of person? Some people like to visit graveyards! This place is right across from our apartment; we've been meaning to check it out.

It's not a very spooky place, and I think that's because it's so big and open!

Something's missing here! Hint: a head.

I'm really into grimy old statues, but this one was kind of creepy!

Well, those were my terribly-exciting birthday activities! Clearly I like looking at old things, but you probably already knew that.

12 comments:

  1. I want to tell you - I sold that beautiful portrait that you would never let me hang at the Pop-up Shop. This girl fell in love with... it. lol. I think it will have a good home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my hometown!! so glad you posted about it... pretty little franklin will always be my favorite place in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm so glad you had such a wonderful birthday!

    when my best friend visited she made me go to the cemetery near my college! i'm not a graveyard person, but they are kind of neat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you spent your birthday and I couldn't help but giggle at that bubble in that photo! What good timing!

    Glad you had a great birthday, this place could be your home (minus the dead carcass of course o_O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Omg, I am SOOO jealous- that antique store exploring looks heavenly! I love the section with all the books. And the cemetery- I LOVE cemeteries! Did you read my blog back when I posted about them? I'm not sure so here is the link:

    http://ponderandstitch.blogspot.com/2009/07/morbid-maybe.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your antique mall and cemetery photos! Cemeteries are rarely spooky to me either, but that last one is a bit creepy... good job :) I've never been to a cemetery in the evening but I imagine that's when it's at it's scariest.

    Wishing you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a wonderful times. Old things are grand b/c there's a back story...a history in every item. The life it led until now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like fun! I love seeing shelves of children's books too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Look at those angels in the grave yard! ...and I'm overcome with envy that you have an antique mall!! Looks like you had a super fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you had a wonderful, special and happy birthday!
    I too adore old children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like graveyards too. I like to read the headstones and imagine what those people were like.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!