Monday, March 22, 2010

feathered friends

Earlier today I was making a peanut butter & jelly sandwich (the lunch of champions!) when I happened to look out the kitchen window. Look who I saw!

A pair of Mourning Doves!

I think I've seen this couple around the yard before, but they were hanging out right on the back porch! They sat there for at least 5 minutes, preening and looking around. I think the one on the left settled in for a short nap. For some reason it was very exciting to me. We've heard a lot of dove calls here (so annoying when you're trying to sleep in and they're right outside the window), but I'd never really put a face to the noise!

A little later on I was washing some dishes and again happened to glance up... to see this guy!

An American Robin

There are plenty of these robins around and I love them. But again, this was the first time I'd noticed one so close to the house. I guess this is just a popular spot to preen and hop around (and use the bathroom, as you can see). He reminds me of a bird Sam would draw!

So it seems I've become an amateur birdwatcher! I guess this is what happens when you have a yard and plenty of windows -- there is so much to see! Yes, yes, I am also entirely aware of the comings and goings of our mailman and all of the neighbors too... and the children who are playing in our front yard right now. There's a concrete drainage ditch running along the side of our yard, and every day these kids play in it on their way home from school. And most every day, their dad yells at them. Good show!

I hope I'm not boring anyone! My brain is in a million different places right now. My parents are coming to visit this week, so I'll be fairly busy preparing for them and also spending time with them. I'll try to schedule an exciting post for later this week. Happy Monday!

WAIT! I need to add something very important, in case you weren't aware. Tomorrow (March 23rd, between 12-8 p.m.) is free ice cream cone day at Ben & Jerry's! If you have a participating shop nearby, try to go! It will be worth it. Robert and I went last year. [Ahh, the good old days when he didn't have a job and we just adventured around doing free stuff! And if you check out that old post, I was raving about birds even then.]

5 comments:

  1. Oooh, those birds look so gorgeous! How fun to be that close to them, and being able to take great photos of them too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sooooo sweet! I'm such a sucker for our feathered friends! I've been staying at my Dad's house and I've also been so enjoying the bird action! Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOOO i dieeee! Look at their fluffed up little feathers. All I see out my window are enormous, greedy pigeons. Hate pigeons.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!