Friday, September 4, 2009

stitching into the future

I'm happy to announce that I'm completely addicted to embroidery! I finally got started with my Stitch-It Kit a couple of days ago, and I haven't looked back. I'm still working on my first project, a tea towel, but I'm already way past the point in the picture (which I took last night). It's an easy and relaxing activity that allows me to feel like I'm doing something creative and productive all at once -- those sorts of things are hard to come by for me, because I'm easily distracted and I don't like big projects.

I've also been thinking up more things I could do with my newfound-skill! It's sort of exciting. I'm considering expanding my shop beyond vintage, to include handmade items (or reworked/embellished vintage). To tell the truth, my shop was originally all handmade items, but I only ever sold 1 thing [to someone I knew, so I felt like it didn't count] before I realized that vintage was a much bigger seller. However, as you may have noticed, I'm sort of getting bored with my Etsy shop. I feel awful saying that, but I just haven't been enjoying the process as much lately! I think I'll keep it up, but the items going into my shop have definitely slowed down. I think I may be taking it in a new direction soon! Let me know if you have any thoughts on the subject; some of you readers have been customers and you're all lovely people so I totally value your feedback.

I hope everyone has an exciting weekend - we've got a long one coming up, and I'll be out of town for most of it so I may not post here for a few days!

9 comments:

  1. Oh, your little embroidered cup is adorable! Isn't it fun?? I'm excited to see the new direction of your shop. I'd love to be a customer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stitches are lovely! You could make an exciting stitch-niche shop, like all things Plath, with everything from tea towels to bibs to socks with Sylvia quotes on them. Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should SO make things like the little guy you made a few posts back for your etsy shop. You're so creative, and that little guy was so cute! My kids fell in love with him.

    Embroidery is so fun. Your stitches are perfect. Do you ever do cross stitch? I have a cute pattern for a cross stitch tea cup. You tuck a little teabag inside it, along with a little poem:

    I wish we could sit down together
    And have a cup of tea
    But since we can't,
    I hope when you drink this one
    You'll think of me!

    Great little gift for friends and family that live out of town.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. that tea cup is so cute! I'm sure you could use your stitching skills to make a lot of wonderful things for your Etsy shop.

    I know what you mean about feeling bored of your shop though, I'm feeling the same way with mine and I'm considering new directions I can take with my shop. I don't think it's a bad thing though. Change is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Rebecca! And I love your idea of embroidering/reworking vintage finds. Can't wait to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Go the handmade route Rebecca!! I think embroidery is a pretty unexplored niche on Etsy and you'll be a total hit!!! Have a lovely long weekend, won't you!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was looking at this Kit just yesterday at a gift store!!! It was $50 New Zealand which was a bit dear but I've always wanted to learn to do embroidery/cross-stitch etc. I've never done it before. Is it easy? Send me an email to tell me how it's going if you have time: ondressingup@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think i want one of these kits! i need a productive, creative hobby!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really cool! I'm almost finished with my typewriter design! It's so easy and it is soothing. It looks so great!
    I was *just* formatting a post on my review on sublime stitching.
    sorry to hear about your etsy shop, i hope it picks up!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!