Monday, April 12, 2010

shoes and things

It's Monday again! These Mondays just keep happening, don't they? Let's ponder some things.

Yikes, sharp-lookin' ankles.

Like these shoes. I really think these shoes are adorable and they fit me perfectly, but I'm also not sure I'll really ever wear them. So they may or may not be going into my Etsy shop soon! Oh, my poor, neglected Etsy shop. For some reason I just can't make myself get back into the habit of regularly updating. I think it will live on, but just barely.


I have been trying to spend less time on the internet and more time in real life, so here's my blanket apology for not visiting and commenting on blogs as much lately! I will do what I can, but I'm hoping to make a permanent shift of habits and it may affect my blog posting and commenting. You may not even notice it, but I thought I'd mention it just in case you do.

As someone who doesn't really have a job and stays home every day, the internet can be a good thing and a bad thing. Yes, it's an amazing source of information and inspiration, but some days I get information and inspiration OVERLOAD: seeing endless creativity from other people stifles my own creativity. And I end up wasting a lot of time. Last week I began limiting my time online, and the change was almost instant-- I felt a major surge of energy and accomplished so many things that I've been putting off. I know I can't expect every day to be like that, but I feel I should give myself the chance to have those days, and that means less sitting around in front of the computer! I need to take action to make things happen: an obvious fact that can easily be forgotten when I'm distracted. And that's what the internet feels like to me so often: a big distraction.

Diana totally nailed the feeling in this post about taking a blog break. I'm trying to make my daily schedule more well-rounded, and also pushing myself to try new things instead of getting stuck in the same old ruts!

6 comments:

  1. I love your shoes.

    I've been online only when I'm in between breaks (between the laundry, dishwasher, and waiting for nails to dry or something like that) and i turn off my wifi when i'm writing or packaging up orders.

    my apartment is cleaner, i feel better, it's seriously a big burden lifted. if you need any help, or if you have any tips, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The sooner you realize your time is limited, the more you can get done. I like being online, too, but there are limits. Bye! (And don't answer back, dear!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally agree! i too stay home and the computer is always a struggle for me. i have been limiting my time as well. am i commenting as much? no. but, i feel much more productive and don't have that guilt which comes with internet overload :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I read Diana's post too - and I totally feel the same way from time to time! I've just come out of a month where I've been very slack about blogging and visiting people's blogs but I feel more into it now. I think it's just natural to want a break from time to time!

    You must not put those ravishing shoes in your shop!!! They were made for you Rebecca!!! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've had a simlar experience to you lately. I feel so slugish when I spend time at the computer and as you say, it really does stifle creativity. It was actually affecting my concentration on my university work. I've really tried to spend less time online and more time doing things, hence the dress and skirt I made :) It's much better to have something to show for your time than spending pointless hours browsing online.... but it is so addictive!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I so adore those shoes - you should keep them forever!

    I feel much more refreshed after my break! I think taking time away makes the time online much more focused.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!