Tuesday, April 27, 2010

mixed feelings

Here are some skirts I bought specifically to go into my Etsy shop, but which might never make it in. I thought they were too tight at the waist, but then I took pictures (intended for the item listings) and realized they're REALLY cute anyway, and now I'm trying to figure out if I'm willing to compromise comfort for style. It's a real conundrum. They will probably make their way into the shop in a few months, when I realize I'm not willing to be uncomfortable for more than 15 minutes. That's my prediction.


And here is an interesting blog post* on "bloggers with perfect, beautiful, craftsy lives" that make people feel jealous and insecure... or something. A part of me thinks it's a waste of ranting, because I know that blogs are a place for people to present themselves as they wish, and obviously most of us don't have perfect lives. We have insecurities, we have messes, we have problems - we just don't want to share them all of the time. Having control over a blog means you can ignore the bad stuff and show off the good stuff.


Another part of me understands that jealousy sentiment, though. There are times when I've fallen into that pit of browsing through seemingly-perfect pictures and lives and feeling like I will never be as talented or praised as others. And that's why I don't share everything on my blog all of the time. There are probably hundreds of pictures on my computer that I intended to blog about, but in the end just felt too inferior to post. And that's not cool.

I started this blog as a place to share some of my creativity (and also because I had recently quit my full time job and blogging was a fun, time-consuming activity). Over time, instead of just sharing things I would have done anyway, I think I started creating content specifically for the blog. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's just not what I intended to do, and I don't like the way things have been going.


I haven't been posting outfit photos as often, because I no longer feel the need. There was a time when I enjoyed the feedback and compliments, but I think I'm at a point in my life where I don't need that outside encouragement: I'm content to wear whatever and not show it off. [That's no guarantee I won't do more in the future, but it's how I feel at the moment.] On the flipside, I've been disappointed to discover that outfit posts garner the most comments. There are a few friendly, faithful readers who will comment on just about anything - and it means a lot to me! - but it can feel like an insult when I've taken the time to think out a blog post on some other topic that I find interesting and only get a handful of comments. What upsets me most is how upset I get over this petty stuff. It's really made me rethink my motives for blogging: why do I even keep this up?

This is in no way a warning that I'm about to delete my blog, or something to make readers feel guilty or other bloggers feel like I'm insulting them. I just thought it would be an interesting discussion to have. Do you ever feel this way about blogging?

*I can't believe that some of the bloggers they listed were people I interact with online... Girls, I guess you should take it as a compliment that your blogs are pretty enough to make it into such a piece!

9 comments:

  1. I definitely feel that way about blogging! I'll see this perfect, beautiful blog and feel a little bit jealous, and even guilty that I don't dedicate that kind of energy/creativity to my own blog. But realistically, I know I don't have that kind of time. And if I did put that kind of time into my blog, it would detract from my real life. I'd rather just post what I want when I feel so inclined, and who cares if my life (be it online or in person) isn't 100% perfect?

    Ha... I think maybe at some point I'll do a post that's the antithesis of the types of blogs the Jezebel article mentions. Pictures of my scary, dilapidated laundry room with ugly wallpaper, gross floor and missing ceiling tiles, or the lack of baseboards in my kitchen even though I moved into the house over a year ago. :-P

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Theoretically, you could do all this — you, too, could (and should) be living a beautiful life." BIG TIME GUILT stuff.

    You're a cool baby sloth. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I've cut my commenting and browsing WAY down to regain some kind of balance in life, but can really relate to what you're saying here so I thought I'd drop you a line. I know EXACTLY what you mean about receiving more comments on outfit posts than ones you've spent longer thinking about. I just see my blog as a personal record of things that I want to remember, and if other people happen to read it then that's great. I started doing outfit posts as I wanted to see if my style evolves over time, but to be honest I don't really care what anyone else thinks, so maybe there's no point posting pictures.. And yeah, loads of blogs make me feel quite depressed with the perfect little world they present!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again - just thought of something else :) This might sound strange but my favourite blog is actually my own, because I've filled it with things that I love. I only ever post about things I love 110% and as a result it's tailored perfectly to my tastes. I think we need to blog for ourselves and not care less what anyone else thinks. Do you see what I mean?

    ReplyDelete
  5. As someone who's begun to only comment fairly sporadically, I know that I just comment whenever I happen upon my favorite blogs (one of them being yours- because it makes me so happy and optimistic about life, btw) so I'm afraid I comment on really the most recent post - whatever it may be about.

    That being said, I have felt similar frustration when I'll spend hours on a song or an informational post and then get comments about the boots I'm wearing or something! But I guess it's easier to comment on visual things.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't see this until I just ran into your most recent post but, hi. I sometimes feel the same way - mostly I have 100 real-life things that need tending to and worthy tasks but not picturesque. And I get that I live with 6 cats and am a workaholic so I should just be impressed my apt is as clean as it is, when it is, and not be pissed off I can't take the time to write comics every day or bake once a week or even make dinner...or get home from work before 10pm, even. Like, I pay my petsitter once a week to come BRUSH MY CATS.

    And yes, people never comment unless there's pictures. We're an ADD nation. Feel sorry for us!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read that article and it lead to a HUGE messy debacle on Twitter. Half of the people agreed, while the other half didn't agree. I personally don't agree. What the writer failed to mention is these girls (I know most of them) have degrees in fashion, design, or photography or they have been practicing taking photos or blogged for quite some time. Plus, I HATE (yes, hate) the idea that people can't be creative and share beautiful inspiring things without that voice behind them saying it's too pretty. It's just an insecurity issue.

    I remember when i posted this LONG post on how there were so many blogs going unnoticed because they didn't post a million photos from weheartit.com or what have you. Of course, I got a few hating emails, but the person that gets the most angry and defensive is the person that needs to hear it most (at least that's my theory!)

    You should post about what you want, and not feel like it's "good" enough. Good enough for whom? We like you for who you are. That's what brought me here in the first place, and I love to see blogs grow but stick to what they love, regardless if 'cool' or not :P

    Wow, what an embarrassingly long comment but I had to speak up. You're one of my favorite blogs and you totally have my support!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an interesting article! I'll have to go have a look! I've long ago given up any dreams of having a squillion followers for my blog! I do it for myself and my boyfriend to read and also for my fave bloggers (you're one of them by the way!) so that I have something to share with them when I go comment on their blogs. Does that make sense? Also I think those mega bloggers with a hundred trillion followers really work super hard at the blog thing - I just don't have the time!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!