Wednesday, April 7, 2010

house updates

Time for a few more pictures of the house! More specifically, changes that occurred while my mom was here a little while ago. She's incredibly handy and good at decorating -- she also had some money for us from my aunt, and personally wanted to buy me a bunch of "housewarming gifts". I protested quite a bit, but it was really generous and we ended up with a lot of things we've been wanting/needing.


Okay, we didn't really need those valances over the windows, but we were in an antique shop and the pattern-- kitschy blue and green maple leaves-- totally caught my eye! Really cute, and they go with the room. The chairs are nothing new: just some swanky vintage Samsonite folding chairs that Robert's mom found in the garbage (a fact which I love to repeat because that's so cute/hardcore). Until we get some better seating in this room, they'll do!


The lighting in the above picture is a little off, but that's the biggest purchase we made!! I've been on the lookout for a big piece to go in our kitchen for extra storage - and this was perfect. Oddly enough, we found it at a thrift store for $89. Not too bad considering everything I've seen like this online is at least $300! I don't have any pictures of the backside, but it's made from old shipping crates: it says SINGER SEWING MACHINES. Pretty neat! Also, just around the corner you can see some boots I thrifted specifically for visiting baby goats and farms on muddy days.


A peek of what's inside. We're using the bottom half as a pantry, but the top is currently used for cookbooks and pretty things. All of these pictures were taken at different times, because I'm never really happy with the lighting, and the arrangement keeps changing!


This latch looks pretty old to me, but it's not even original to the piece - you can also see an old keyhole and a hole where another knob used to be.

I think this primitive latch might be original to the piece. This picture is probably truest to the color - sorry about all of the different lighting in these pictures!

More of what's inside...

My mom put these two things together - I hadn't even realized they have a similar pattern. I've been using the big bowl to hold vegetables that don't need to be refrigerated.

I had one empty canister, and decided to fill it with a jumble of silicone baking cups.

Plenty more house updates to come! This week I'm working on paint touch ups - I love most all of the colors that came with the house, but whoever painted was a little sloppy.

8 comments:

  1. I love the window pelmet and the kitchen dresser. You've found some incredible things! I bet it feels more homely each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, of course! Looks awesome. Glad you and Mom had a good time together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, I am having so much fun following the progress you're making on the house, and it looks great!! And yeah, last year when I moved into my house, spring was interesting... we had no idea what would pop up. Lots of pretty flowers, and of course plenty of weeds. ;-) There is a TON of clematis at my house, it should be blooming soon and I'll definitely be posting pictures of that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww bless, what a lovely thing for your mum to do! And I loved those valances. I wish windows were 'dressed' more often like yours are :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hutch is fabulous ... and from a thrift store? Thanks for not posting any more baby goat pictures. I truly think I'm destined to own some, but others in the household, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great mom! So many wonderful little treasures. :) By the way I just checked out your etsy shop and it's beautiful! If you are ever interested in becoming a seller on Lovely Clusters we would love to have you! http://lovelyclusters.com

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!