Wednesday, October 21, 2009

wildlife in the graveyard

Yesterday afternoon, Robert excitedly called me while he was on his way home. He bikes through the cemetery as a shortcut on his way to and from work, and he'd just seen a fox "frolicking" - he claims it was acting like an exciting puppy, sitting up on its hind legs and waving its arms around. So when he got home I grabbed my camera and we went for a little cemetery walk, in search of the elusive fox.

The weather was perfect - lately it's been freezing in the mornings here, but everything warms up nice by afternoon! So we set out through the graveyard, scanning around for a little red fox. We never found him, but when we got to the very back of the lot, we saw this:


This little animal was standing so still for so long that we seriously considered the idea that he might be a stuffed dead animal (though that would be in really bad taste for a graveyard). I snapped a picture and had already moved on as Robert approached the little beast. Then it ran away! We were very excited to realize he was real. After some research, I'm certain he was a groundhog (aka woodchuck), and that makes me so happy - first groundhog I've ever seen in real life! From wikipedia: "It is common to see one or more nearly-motionless individuals standing erect on their hind feet watching for danger." There you go!

12 comments:

  1. That's cute! I've never seen one, but I'd probably be more scared of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A groundhog!!! How cool is that!! It reminds me of the movie "Groundhog Day"...fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely a groundhog. My uncle caught one and kept it as a pet when I was a kid! It was totally illegal, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's not a fox! he certainly does look like a groundhog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute !
    http://mimietnini.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, I can definitely confirm the groundhog, as we have about a million of them just in our neighborhood. They can destroy a garden overnight, but they are kind of cute. One once ate the ornamental kale I had growing in a flowerpot and then got the flowerpot stuck on his head - oh, where was my camera?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Reading skills, pls!

    @Sam - That's what I thought of too. Then I thought of the part where he's driving the truck. Best animal-driving scene ever, man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a groundhog before. The little guy is adorable! Looks like he was posing just for you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. He's so cute Rebecca!!! I've never seen a groundhog in person... adorable!♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. O my goodness! What a cool sight to see. Shame you missed the fox though. I would have liked to see a fox acting like a puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! What an exciting thing to see. Your story was so hilarious "though I thought that would be in really bad taste for a graveyard!"
    I wish you could have seen the fox! I have always wanted to see one.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love that funny little groundhog, such charisma.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!