Sunday, May 9, 2010

mother's day: a dinosaur story

Today is Mother's Day here in America! Perhaps in some other places, too: it's hard to keep up with all of the different holidays. Anyhow, if it's Mother's Day where you live, remember to show your mom some appreciation! Here is my post from last year, complete with some cute photos of my mom from the '70s. This year I'm going to do something a little different. Honestly, I just want to show you some dinosaur pictures. And I figured this could somehow fall under the category of motherly things.

During the weekend of the great flood, Robert and I spent our indoors time hatching a dinosaur egg that some friends gave to us. What follows is the photo log we made so we could keep everyone updated with the latest happenings of the baby dino. Robert took about half of these pictures. Enjoy!

The experiment began Friday night. Dino egg went into the water.

This is how it looked when we woke up Saturday.

Things began happening fairly quickly.

We ate some scrambled eggs. A little pink dinosaur looked on in wonder.

Around 10 a.m., something began to emerge!

An eye appeared around noon.

Around 3 p.m. we saw what it's head sort of looked like!

Just an hour later we saw a smile!

5 p.m. - nothing much was happening, but Robert started picking at the egg.

We had strawberry pancakes for dinner. YUM! I could eat breakfast foods for every meal. Sometimes I do.

Just before we went to bed Saturday night... we'd been chipping at the egg again. Impatient!

Next morning: you can see his neck grew longer!

Sunday, 2 p.m.: A little more peeling away at the egg revealed his lumpy legs.

2 hours later: we finally took him out of the egg shell and let him just soak some more, hoping his tail and legs would get longer.

His legs got a little chunkier, but never longer! And the tail stayed stubby. After a couple days of extra soaking, we decided he was done growing. He's all dried out now!

In other news, I began working on Friday! It's just a 2-week temporary position, but already it feels so nice to keep busy all day. A little hectic after not working full-time in almost a year and a half... but I'm enjoying it! I'm still adjusting to the time constraints and not being online all day, so I may be a little scarce around here. Just a warning-- If you don't hear from me for a bit, you know what I'm up to: getting paper cuts!

As far as post-flood updates, things are going fine around our house. Still may need some roof repairs, and we're still under water restrictions [which is still driving me crazy because it means cutting back on doing dishes and laundry], but things are otherwise fine! That's just my case, however. Can't forget that there are still people in the Nashville area (and other places) who are without homes because of the flood!

10 comments:

  1. That dino did a lot of growing! LOL I always wondered how those eggs turned out.

    Ouch - papercuts! The biggest hazard in any office ;-) Glad you're enjoying your new work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. aaahhh. Mother's day in the UK was a couple of months ago, and it is yet another date in Luxembourg and Germany. I don't know when, because I completely ignore it. I am nice to my mum ALL the time. Speaking of which, i will go phone her now...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my, I need to get one of those for my little boy, sure looks fun to see it "hatch". Lovely post, and good luck on your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my god this is too cute!!! i am in love with this. it's funny because my daughter is sitting right next to me and she's already asking me when we are getting one! ha ha. where can i find these?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was very exciting! I particularly enjoyed seeing the reaction of your red dinosaur. It's nice they'll have each other for company. Also glad you're doing OK with the flooding. Have fun at work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh he's so cool! I've never seen anything quite like it!! Thank you for the documentation of his birth! :0)

    Best of luck with your job and have a lovely week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable.

    Congrats on the small job position, even if it's for two weeks, that must feel like a break :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am grinning at these pics. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so cute, I love those things! Congrats on the job, I hope you have fun! It's very sad some are without homes right now because of the flood, but I'm glad you guys are doing ok. :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!