Tuesday, May 11, 2010

strawberry season

Here I am, getting fancy with a scheduled-post. Apologies for the slowness on replying to comments. I will be around to visit you all soon! I'm using italics!

Our first CSA basket of the season!

Last Saturday, we picked up our first CSA basket for this year! What's a CSA? Check out this post I wrote way-back-when for an explanation! It's basically a wonderful way to help local farmers, make yourself eat vegetables, and have a great supply of food!

This year we purchased a share with Beaverdam Creek Farm, because they deliver to the Franklin Farmer's Market, and we go there every Saturday morning. We received a lot of greens, some radishes, and --best of the best-- STRAWBERRIES! So tasty. We actually bought an extra container of the strawberries, and by the next day we'd eaten ALL of them. So sweet and fresh! I can't wait to see what vegetables we get next time, and especially as the weather warms up.

Receiving a CSA share really forces us to eat healthier, because we plan the week's menu around what vegetables we're receiving for the week, instead of planning around whatever's on sale at the grocery store or whatever we're craving-- a dangerous game!

Does anyone have any favorite ways to cook spinach and other leafy greens? I'm not big on salads, and it seems there aren't too many ways to eat them... Any yummy ideas?

12 comments:

  1. I loooove spinach and cheese enchiladas. Aside from the spinach they're not necessarily super healthy, especially since the recipe I use involves quite a bit of cheese and sour cream. But if you tilt the balance of ingredients in favor of spinach and go light on the other stuff, you get a somewhat healthier dish that's still delicious! You can also put it in quiche, and I'm a big fan of spinach tortellini. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i love salads so im no help! yummy looking basket of goodies though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks soooo good! I'm envious.

    For the spinach: do you like Indian? Saag is a delicious way to use up a lot of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saag is a good idea. You can also steam the spinach and sprinkle it with black pepper and feta cheese for yumminess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It look so good !
    http://prettydarling.canalblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, those radishes are so lovely! I think radishes are one of the most photogenic vegetables!

    I don't know if you're vegan, but spinach is wonderful tossed in scrambled eggs. I also like it as a substitute for lettuce on sandwiches! Or you could even go crazy and make spinach chips! Make them nice and dry, spritz them with olive oil and sprinkle with some sea salt and toss them in the oven till they're crispy! I've done it with kale but I assume it'd work just great with spinach.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy! I love strawberries and I wish we had something similar to CSA here in Spain, it seems so great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so excited for strawberry season, too. I have yet to join the CSA but thankfully the farmer's market is weekly here.
    These look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love strawberries, as far as spinach love to used them on my chicken soups and chicken dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! Buying vegies and fruit straight from the people who produced it can't be beaten.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yuumy! Strawberry is one of my favorites. Anyways, I don't really have any idea on how to cook spinach expect for salad.
    -Web Designing

    ReplyDelete
  12. yeah for csa's! i'm lovin' mine right now :D
    spinach- green smoothie, 2 cups water, big handful of spinach/kale and 1 banana. blend and drink :D
    chard- i love to saute onions and garlic in olive oil, then toss in the cut up greens and cook for a couple minutes. you can add eggs for a breakfast scramble.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!