Tuesday, May 4, 2010

the flood

So, as I said in my last post, Nashville (and various other places in the South) flooded this past weekend. Not just any old flood-- more rain than has ever fallen here in recorded history. Isn't that... insane? A little bit. I didn't even get close to seeing the worst, but I'll share with you what I did see!

It started Saturday morning. It was pouring, but Robert and I went to the Franklin farmer's market anyway. We lingered there about twice as long as usual, because we were in no hurry to get back out in the rain. No one wanted to leave. It was scary rain. But we finally did leave, and made it home to hide out. We really didn't know how bad it was going to get, and when we thought the rain might let up in the afternoon, we left the house again to try to finish our grocery shopping.

Our next door neighbor's house... picket fence is where our back yard begins.

That was probably a bad idea. The rain was beating down so hard that we decided to just go to a nearby store, instead of Trader Joe's like we'd been planning. So, we were in Publix, doing some grocery shopping, and the tornado sirens started up. Someone made an announcement about everyone standing in the back of the store until the sirens stopped. Robert, persistent shopper that he is, continued to search for muesli. He got chided twice by employees for walking down aisles. Rebel!! The sirens stopped once and then started again and we all stood in the back of the store. Employees started to pass out free cookies. Everyone was making phone calls-- I texted my sister for good measure. I overheard that a tornado was on the ground in Spring Hill - South of us - but luckily it never hit Franklin. We got out of there as soon as we could and decided we'd stay home the rest of the day.

But on the way home, we had to turn around FOUR times because of flooded roads. Either a road would be blocked by the police, or there would be so much water that we were afraid to cross. It got to the point where we weren't sure we'd be able to get to our house. But we finally did. See the above picture? I'm not entirely sure when I took that, but the water was even higher at one point. It covered one end of our street.

Robert went next door to check on our neighbor, and sure enough water was already coming into her house. We invited her to park her car at our house and come over, and she brought her cat! Very adorable cat, by the way, which meowed a lot and then took a nap under our couch. Wish I'd taken a picture but you don't really do that kind of thing during emergencies! We just sat and talked for a couple of hours, until the rain had slowed down and some of the water had receded. She went back to make sure things were looking okay, and then took her kitty home to start trying to clean up.

The crazy rains continued all through the night, and all day Sunday. There was about an hour long break in there, during which we went outside... to clean out the gutters a little and also to see if water had seeped into our crawlspace.

Here's our scary-looking crawlspace! Nothing pretty here.

YEP, water was in there! A crawlspace is like a basement, but with only room to crawl in, and that's where our water heater and all the access to our house's pipes and wiring is kept. Creepy, eh? Creepier when it's full of dirty water. We began bailing out buckets full of water. Robert crouched in the crawlspace and filled up the buckets while I tossed the water out on the lawn. Very tiring, very dirty. We got as much water out as we could, and it's still drying out under there. We also discovered a couple of leaks in the attic, and yesterday some brown spots appeared on the ceiling of the front room. :( We're checking into roofers - may need some repairs.

At least everything will be very green after all this rain!

As it is, a lot of places are still covered in water, and we're very lucky to have come out so dry. All of the main roads in Franklin are open again, and people are going back to work. Here's all I can complain about:

-possible roof repairs
-a damp crawlspace
-all of the mud we tracked into the house
-not being able to use as much water as I want

We're under emergency water restrictions right now, meaning we're only supposed to use water for bathing and cooking. The dirty clothes pile is really starting to drive me crazy, but I'm leaving it alone for the good of our town! Hopefully the water will recede and things will go back to normal very soon! I know we'll recover quickly, but there are plenty of people in the South who lost their homes because of this.

In more cheerful news, we used our indoor time this weekend to hatch a dinosaur egg, and I will have pictures of that process later this week. :)


  1. That's a lot of water. :-\ I hope you get to do laundry soon and your roof doesn't require too much in the way of repairs!

  2. Oh, the joys of home ownership! It sounds really horrible down there, and I'm glad you're as dry as you are. I have been meaning to comment on your thoughtful post last week ... time seems to be in ever-short supply here, but you raised so many good points.

  3. Oh ! Dear ! Hope everything is OK for you.

  4. I would freak the heck out if I heard sirens. I'm so glad you're okay!!


Tell me something!