Thursday, July 16, 2009

pleats and stripes

Image from Wikipedia

Yesterday while I was writing descriptions of items going into my Etsy shop, I had to do some research. I love the little bits of information I pick up when I'm trying to figure out what's going on with the structure of clothing! I wasn't aware of how many types of pleats there are until I saw this Wikipedia entry. The picture above was an example of knife pleats, but mostly I just fell in love with that outfit. If I had a blazer and a skirt like that, I could recreate that look right now - I have a striped shirt and some similar shoes.

I love old photos so much!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, this outfit is fantastic--timeless really. Reminds me of the outfits Clara Bow wears in "It"--they're looks that could be worn in any generation and seem chic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love the pleats! i realized also it's hard to find pleats like this now. they are either vintage or super expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with the others - love her outfit! Those pleats really set it off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a lovely photo! I know it's old but you could easily wear that today as you say. Hey! By the way - I tagged you - no obligation to fulfill it of course! :) Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a great photo... I love her shoes too. Such a fan of Oxfords, comfy to walk in and are really versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love knife pleats. I actually call them Permapleats. I think they're the same thing? I'm always picking up knife pleated skirt at thrift stores. It's a thrill to find them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this picture is lovely!

    i linked you on my blog, btw! :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!