Monday, April 30, 2012

Toes and Things


I painted my toenails this past weekend, for the first time since Audrey was born.  That's how I know that warm weather has arrived.  (You know, that and being able to check the weather...)


Sometimes I get curious about who stumbles upon this blog and how, and I look at my analytics.   Oddly enough, one of the most used search terms to find my blog is "webbed toes."  Even though I'm sure I only mentioned it about once, 3 years ago.  Yes, I have webbed toes!  No, it's not a big deal.  When I was a kid it felt like a big deal.  I thought I was some kind of weirdo and was totally ashamed of them.  They caused me so much anxiety that my mom took me to a podiatrist to see about having them separated, but we were told that it could cause nerve damage so we decided to leave it alone.  And when I was a senior in high school, I realized that I could show them off, and most people thought they were pretty neat.  (Well, one kid acted like they were disgusting, but I just taunted him with them.  That's what you have to do with your mutations!)  As an adult, I love my toes.  Most people don't even notice what I'm talking about until I point them out: the second and third toes are slightly webbed.  No big deal.  NO, I AM NOT A GOOD SWIMMER.  (That's the #1 question that people ask, seriously.)












I thought there was pretty much no chance of me passing on the toes -- the only other person I'm aware of in my family who has them is my mom's second cousin.  But Audrey did end up getting a bit of webbing!  Just on her right foot, and it's barely noticeable.  I was so happy to hear that when she was born.  She's definitely my little duckling.  And when she gets older, if it bothers her, I'm glad that she'll have me to look up to, as a full-fledged toe weirdo. 

This type of webbed toe situation is SO SO common.  As a child with webbed toes, I was very aware of what everyone else's toes looked like, and I came to realize that these aren't so odd.  A guy in my 9th grade history class had the same toes.  I never talked to him about it, but I thought it was brave of him to wear sandals.  I met a baby at a church once who had the same toes.  Do a google search...  Check out this awesome tattoo idea.

So, any other fellow webbies out there?  (Robert calls me Webby because of my toes!)  Who are you mysterious people who are searching for webbed toes?  Do you think they're cute?  Do you think they're weird?  I think they're awfully neat, and nothing to be ashamed of.

10 comments:

  1. It's what makes you unique! I'm glad you're proud of them. Does it affect your balance?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! It's a purely cosmetic thing. The only problem is that I can't wear toe socks. :)

      Delete
    2. They should make toe socks for people with webbed toes!

      Delete
  2. I don't think I've ever seen webbed toes before- pretty cool! I was born with an extra finger, but it was just a tab of skin with no bone and they removed it right away. I still have a scar and used to tell people about it all the time as a kid to freak them out. Funny these little things... and so cool that your daughter got a bit of webbing on her adorable little feet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even notice after looking at that picture until you pointed it out. All I could think was, "Oh that's a pretty nail color." Ha! It's the little quirks that make us unique. My ears stick straight out and I absolutely hated it as a kid. I thought it made me look like fairy or Dumbo and I worried about covering them up constantly. Now it seems so silly. I love them and often make it a point to show them off. Funny how your perspective changes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I noticed the color and then noticed your toes after you mentioned it.

      Delete
  4. Your toes look just like mine. And yes, I was searching webbed toes when I came across yours. I would send you a photo if I knew how. I wear sandals all the time, weather permitting. And yes, I think your toes are cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you for showing off your webbies. I seriously think it helps others who are embarrassed to show off theirs. I think it's cute your daughter has this uniqueness, too. You will be her hero. Anyway, I'm not embarrassed with mine either. Most people don't even notice and mine are slightly webbed more than yours.

      Delete

Tell me something!