Tuesday, April 3, 2012

this crazy 4 month old


Here I am, wasting valuable time during one of Audrey's long naps, looking at baby pictures.  I find myself doing this a lot...  I am super crazy in love with this baby.  I believe she's made out of marshmallows, and I want to kiss her all day long.  4 months is definitely a very good age!! 


We're in the middle of some strange transitions.  Audrey is a BIG baby.  Not overweight, just seriously tall and a little hefty.  Last week at her 4-month checkup we got the official stats -- she's 25.5 inches long and about 14.5 pounds.   That means that since she was born, she's already grown 4 inches.  I wonder if growing so fast hurts.  This baby can pack away food like nobody's business.  She drinks so much formula in a day that she really needs to be eating some solids.  It's really somewhat alarming... We had one recent day where she ate 45 ounces.  That is BONKERS.  So, since she's already very interested in real food and the doctor said it's okay, we've been working on trying some purees.  Sometimes she's a champ at eating, and other times she is incredibly disinterested.  She tried some applesauce earlier and kept politely gagging and coughing, as if I was feeding her dog food but she didn't want to hurt my feelings.  She is hilarious.  I know she'll eventually get good at this... it's a learning process for all of us!


We're also still struggling with sleep, somewhat.  Audrey is now an expert on going to sleep - she needs her pacifier and a little stuffed animal to hold, then she rolls onto her side and goes right down.  But she takes FIVE naps a day.  Technically there's nothing wrong with that, but I believe most little babies stick to 2 or 3 long naps instead of 5 short ones.  So we're working on that.  Sometimes if I leave her in her crib after she wakes up (and she's content to be there, of course!), she will go back to sleep for another hour.  Night time is another story.  We KNOW she can sleep all night.  We've had 8, 9, 10, and even 11 straight hours of sleep!  Yet most nights she still wakes up two or three times.  Usually she just needs her pacifier back (oh I dread the day when we decide to take that thing away), but she also usually gets a bottle in the middle of the night.  She is a sweet little piglet!

She's growing so fast and I can't believe how quickly this year is already passing.  It's April?!

2 comments:

  1. I know! I can't believe it's April either. I'm really starting to believe people that told me time moved differently after you have a child. I feel like it's just flying by!

    I'm convinced that I will never fully understand the mystery of baby sleep. Sometimes it's great, sometimes it's a wreck and I'm pretty sure that it will probably be a rollercoaster for awhile! Ha!

    Audrey is so adorable! Our little guy also had quite the appetite and we started solids pretty early as well. It's so much fun to see how they react to new tastes and textures along the way!

    Happy 4 months to that little cutie of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the first time my little one slept and slept...I woke up sure something horrible had happened. Nope. She's just her daddy's girl!! Now she's one-and you're right-4 months is wonderful. Glad you're taking lots of pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!