Sunday, November 8, 2009

the interconnectedness of life

I have had the most excellent weekend. I'm sure I say that every week, but this one was seriously exciting! I hope my blog isn't becoming a bore to anyone, but lately all I can think about is local stuff. I've been reading and enjoying Wendell Berry lately. Local food, local economy, the local scenery... I feel like this weekend was a good model for how I'd like to live all the time.


And luckily, it IS becoming how I live more and more. I'm glad that Robert and I can practice what we preach most of the time about sustainability and local food. We were very responsible consumers this weekend. I don't know about all of you, but buying stuff usually makes me feel bad. However, when I support a local business, especially by buying food that is grown or made where I live, I feel really good about it. I would like to get more involved with the community, though: being a consumer and contributing money is one thing, but it's not the same as doing and getting personally involved.


We ate too many sweets and drank too much coffee this weekend, but I don't regret those things! The sweets came from a new baker we met at the farmer's market who uses local ingredients (including the very milk that we had to drink after eating one of her cookies)! And we spent a good 3 hours talking to some new friends at a great little coffee shop in a small town.


We also spent an afternoon touring Noble Springs Dairy. We buy goat cheese every week from them at the farmer's market, so we were pretty excited when they announced they'd be doing tours! We got to meet all of the animals - although they only produce goat cheese to sell, they have horses, cows, chickens, goats, bees and even some dogs and cats. Best part? They're only 5 miles away from where we live: so close!


Robert and I had an awesome time petting the goats, and we even got to try our hand at milking. That was a special little experience... After the tour we had a nice snack and bought some of their honey. It was the best way to spend an afternoon and I'm so glad we got to do it! I'm sure we'll be returning in the future. :)


I didn't want to overflow my blog with pictures of goats (though I hope no one would mind; they're pretty cute!), so these are just a few of the many photos taken. You can see more on my flickr.

Anyway, that's what I've been up to lately! Apologies to anyone looking for fashion pictures or creative inspiration - those things just haven't been on my mind much lately. However, I hope you enjoy what I'm sharing here, and I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject! Do you care about this sort of stuff?

I'm just happy because today Robert said he wouldn't mind living on a farm -- I was trying to convince him we needed to buy one last week! I think now that he's met some friendly farm animals he's seeing the appeal. We're not at all prepared to make a jump into that kind of lifestyle, but I like being able to see it as a future possibility.

8 comments:

  1. Hooray for goat fun! I remember the goats at Deslyn's... I miss their tassels and funny Flathead screwdriver eyes.

    I think it's great that you guys are so locally active. Farming and milking goats and stuff isn't for everyone, but it has to be for someone. I'm so glad you guys met some cool people who farm! If you guys start a farm or ranch, it'll be the coolest farm in the country! LET ME PUT ALPACAS ON YOUR FUTURE FARM. I promise to visit them every year! <3 <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I personally think we should have like a giant family farm (like, the farm is giant - not the family members) together and we should all hang out there. I think that would be hardcore awesome.

    Plus, if and when the revolution comes, we would have it made. For a time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you guys had alot of fun! The goats are adorable haha :) That's really great that the farm is so close to where you live! I to believe in supporting local economy and family businesses, but unfortunately there are not many around me! I try to visit the only local farm stand near me as much as I can as a substitute to the regular chain grocery store.

    I actually grew up a farm and miss it in a way...I would love to live on one again...with lots of horses and goats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't appologise!!! I love your farm photos!!! I think it would be heaven to live on a farm - so long as I didn't have to kill and eat anybody I'd be very happy indeed!! It looks like you had a ball - I must get out more often - on the weekends all I do is draw and eat food!!! I'm pretty hopeless that way!! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a buying-local weekend must be in the air! We had just spent our whole weekend eating at local restaurants and shopping from an independent bookstore. I love supporting businesses around us especially when they're socially/environmentally responsible.

    I've also daydreamed about a cottage with ducks and cows and such! Sounds so perfect.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an amazing place to live Rebecca! I definitely see the appeal of living on a farm too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like fun! Those horses look beautiful, and the goat looks like he/she likes you!
    I used to stay with a family who lived on a farm (just for a while, I was on an exchange program), and it's really a wonderful experience to have all that space and nature surrounding you every day.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. that's amazing. you and your husband seem like the perfect couple for a community!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!