Thursday, February 16, 2012

valentine's day, realistically

coffee and valentines
Did you have a nice Valentine's Day?  We ended up having quite a lovely day!  By some stroke of luck, Audrey woke up to eat just before 6 (as opposed to 4 or 5) and then went back to sleep.  So I was up in time to have coffee and breakfast with Robert before he went to work!  Normally I'm trying to catch up on a little bit more sleep after being up at some ridiculous hour.  We exchanged the valentines we'd made for each other a couple of days before.  It was a really good way to start the morning. 

the essential heart shaped pizza, burnt bits and all
The day went quickly: I cleaned a ton during Audrey's morning nap, and then we had a couple of new friends over to play.  (Well.. Audrey ended up napping during the play date too!  Ha!)  Robert headed home from work just a little bit early so we could hang out.  And then, best of all, he entertained Audrey while I went to Target for some essentials as well as a mini shopping spree!!  Oh yeah, my idea of a spree is a $3 clearance shirt and a new purse.  Fancy times!  When I got home, Robert had already spread out the pizza dough in a heart shape, and we had a delicious margherita pizza for dinner.  Of course, Audrey got fussy during dinner and that was a bit of a fiasco, but it was still nice.

chocolate beet cupcakes... oh yes.
After she went to bed we topped off the night with some AMAZING chocolate beet cupcakes, from this recipe.  (Oh how I love Joy the Baker!)  Robert made them on Sunday and I iced them, while we were watching Groundhog Day.  (Told you I wanted to catch up on my holiday celebrations!!) 

I think it went as well as it could have!  How did you celebrate?  I love silly holiday celebrations.  Any excuse for tasty food and sweet gestures is a winner with me.

5 comments:

  1. Aww, I'm glad you had a good Valentine's Day! My husband and I both had to work during the day, but that evening we went to a sushi buffet, which is our usual Valentine's Day and anniversary tradition. I ate way too much, as usual. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim made me dinner and I wrote him a poem that I hid under his plate! Also he gave me the nicest card. It's so good I am going to keep it in my purse to read whenever. I'm glad your Valentine's Day went well! <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy! I was considering putting beet juice in the frosting I made for the Valentine's Day cookies, but I chickened out and just left it white. Does it have a strong flavor? I hate to use artificial dyes, but was worried that the beet flavor would be too strong. And your heart pizza looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we really couldn't taste the beets at all! It's pretty neat how it made such a bright color. I had never thought about using beet juice for coloring, but now I want to do it all the time... :)

      Delete
  4. I love the beet juice frosting- so pretty! Sounds like a perfect Valentine's day. I love getting a little time to myself in Target :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!