Tuesday, February 21, 2012

bad nights and good days

 
This baby is blowing my mind.  She'll be 3 months old tomorrow, and she can already do so many amazing things.  Yesterday she started cooing along when I was singing to her!  She's also been "working out" a lot lately - she likes to sit on my lap and hold my hands while practicing sitting up and standing.  These things seem so sudden.  It's really odd how quickly babies change; one minute it seem like they're going to just sleep and cry forever, and the next they develop a little personality and impress the hell out of you.  These things combined with magically soft skin (and little puffy cheeks that I could kiss FOREVER) make me wonder if babies are some sort of mythical creatures...  They've got powers, you guys.


Audrey has been such a delight lately.  Well, most of the time.  For some reason she's been having a hard time going to sleep.  I know I'm contributing to bad sleep habits, but so often I take the path of least resistance and just rock her to sleep.  She needs to learn how to fall asleep on her own without me putting her to sleep and then sneaking away!  I thought we were getting into some good patterns, but in the last few days it seems like she won't go to sleep unless I rock or bounce her into oblivion first.  I know I should start letting her fuss for a couple of minutes and see if she can settle down on her own, but it's just my habit to swoop in and try to quiet her down immediately.  (Anyone have any tips or ideas for making nap time and bed time easier?)


But even the worst night can lead into the best day.  If Audrey wakes up at a ridiculous hour and refuses to go back to sleep, I know I don't have to wait long before her first nap -- this kid can only stay awake an hour and a half before getting super sleepy and cranky!!  And when she does wake up from a nap, she's renewed and cheerful and just wants to smile and chat for a while.  Sleep is like a reset button for babies.

3 comments:

  1. She is so cute!!!

    Unfortunately I don't have any advice for getting Audrey to sleep, but I CAN tell you that I'm pretty sure my husband got that candle here:

    http://www.assouline.com/library-candles.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Babies are actually the ONLY mythical creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a cutie! The three month mark was huge for me, they really start changing and getting more personality. Sleep is a never ending guessing game though. Even at 15 months we still have nap issues. All babies seem to respond to different things but you'll figure it out. Sleep is never quite the same :)

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!