Sunday, November 13, 2011

welcome back, me!

This blog has taken a good long nap, but I think it’s time for a revival!  I’ve done a lot of thinking, reading, writing and growing in the past year.  I feel like I’ve become a more genuine person, more aware of who I am and who I want to be.  I’ve become more confident and comfortable with my own personality, and I’m ready to share again with anyone who’s willing to read! 

The activity here died down last year because I didn’t have a lot of excitement going on in life, and it was starting to bore even me!  I couldn’t imagine anyone wanting to read it.  I became anxious about putting out such mediocre content, and also a little paranoid about sharing my life with so many strangers.  I was having a lot of anxiety issues.  So I just sort of disappeared without warning.  I apologize to any readers who were worried about me, but no one really came looking for me so I assumed my absence was no big deal!  I decided not to stress about the blogosphere and just get on with my life.

What did I do with my quiet year?  I stopped reading so many blogs, especially fashion blogs.  I wore t-shirts and jeans nearly every day and didn't worry about dressing up.  I didn’t worry about vintage stuff or keeping an Etsy shop.  I decided I didn’t need to go back to school like I’d been talking about.  Last November, I found out I was pregnant and then a week later had a miscarriage.  That was another reason for not wanting to come back to blogging: what could I say about it?  I just wanted to be quiet and alone.  (But I am completely ready to talk about it now!)  I worked for an anger management counselor for a while.  I spent a nice Christmas in Texas with my family.  I got a really nice new laptop, and didn’t use it to blog.  I made a tumblr account, and didn't use it to blog.  We made more friends in real life.  I started working regularly at the goat farm, though I had to stop after a while.  Robert and I had our 3-year wedding anniversary and spent an interesting weekend on a river boat in Chattanooga.  Robert turned 30, I turned 25, and I found my first gray hair.  I became an excellent temporary receptionist.  None of it seemed blog-worthy!

But I’ve been growing in other ways too.  For the last 9 months…

18 weeks...

24 weeks...

31 weeks...

34 weeks...

38 weeks...


That’s right: I’m about to have a baby!  We had to wait 3 months after the miscarriage to try again.  It felt like forever, because we’d become really set on having a baby.  But  we did it!  Early pregnancy was scary and I was considered high risk for a while - we found out I had low progesterone as well as low thyroid levels.  We got all of that fixed up and crossed our fingers that it would turn out okay.  And so far, it has.  (I'll get back to you after the whole "birth" experience.)  Looking back from this point, it has been a relatively normal and healthy pregnancy!  But I’ve also been to more doctors in the past year than in all of my previous years of life combined.  It’s a little ridiculous.

Our estimated due date is in 8 days.  I’ve already started dilating and labor could begin at any time in the next couple of weeks!  Needless to say, it’s an exciting time.  What does the future hold?  Well, for a while I’m just going to be a stay at home mom and have a good time raising our daughter.  We are so excited about everything to come!  And I don’t know if it’s the thyroid medication or just the building excitement of pregnancy, but I’ve had such a good attitude about everything for the past several months.  I’m looking forward to every new stage of life that's coming up.

So why am I reviving this old blog?  To record all of the new excitement, and to share it with old friends.  I feel very inspired and have a lot of ideas about what I want to do here!  I’m not making any promises about what I will blog about or how often I will write.  I’m not putting any pressure on myself.  But I do want to give blogging another go.  I think I'm ready: I stayed awake almost ALL NIGHT writing future posts in my brain.  It was very irritating, but that tells me that I'm excited about this and I should move forward.

If you’re one of my old readers (or a new one!), please drop in to say hello.  I would love to reconnect!  I don’t read nearly as many blogs as I did in the past, simply because it takes so much time, but I will always take the time to come visit anyone who leaves me a sweet comment.

How has everyone been?  Anyone reading this at all?  Echo… echo…

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your little girl! I found your blog sometime a long time ago and followed for a while. I'm not much of a commenter, but I read my google reader just about every day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously - I was thinking about you today. I kid you not. I am way behind on my blog reading, and for some reason you popped into my mind and I thought 'what happened to that nice Rebecca?' And there you are! SO happy for your news, and wishing you all of the best in the weeks ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey brother! So glad to see you and read your post. EIGHT DAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awww how exciting!! congrats and wishing you a quick and smooth labor!! i am 34.5 weeks and can't wait to meet my baby boY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! congrats! I can not wait to see your little one! I have missed you! I have fallen of the face of the earth lately too :) maybe I will give it another go too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay, congratulations!!!! I don't know why it took almost a week for this post to show up for me on Bloglovin, but I'm so glad you're back to blogging and I can't wait to read about your adventures in motherhood! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. whoa, what a treat! this popped up in GR after months of quiet. I'm glad you did what was best for you, and I can't wait to read all about the new chapter in life. 8 days!!! more like 4 now, but still!
    i also applaud you for cutting away what was distracting you most!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!