Tuesday, September 14, 2010

painting detective

I've had a few days off recently, and finally decided to tackle one of the larger projects I've had on my to-do list. We've been in our house for over 6 months, and I'm finally getting around to repainting the baseboards!

Ugly baseboards in our bedroom!

Some of the rooms in our house are just fine, but the bedrooms show evidence of many paint changes that were never quite finalized. For example: the above picture, taken in our bedroom. As I've been repainting, I've pieced together the history of this room, like a detective. Here's what I think is going on...

At some point in time, our bedroom was wallpapered. Later on, someone painted over the wallpaper with red. Also at some point, the trim around the room was painted green.... and then someone put carpet in the room. Somebody repainted the trim a white color, obviously while the carpet was still in. And then someone came along, painted the room green, and pulled up the carpet. This is where we came into the story! The baseboards are cream with a layer of green at the bottom, as well as carpet fibers still stuck in the corners.

I've been going around sanding down the weird texture where the carpet met the wood (I guess it's glue I'm sanding off?), pulling bits off carpet off, and repainting everything white. After this I'll need to touch up the green paint, because you can still see some red at the edges. The reason I believe there's wallpaper under there is that the paint seems to curl up at the edges, making it really hard to get a clean line. Maybe one day we'll strip everything down and see what's under there! For now, I just want a pretty cover-up job. That's what all of the previous residents tried to do, I suppose. Everyone who's lived in this house for the past 48 years has been really lazy. That's what I'm going to assume. We will carry on the tradition.

P.S. We saw the Pixies last weekend!! Anyone who's interested can check out my pictures here. I'm planning a bigger post for later about it -- I made a few videos too! Robert wants to clean up the sound on them before we put them online. He's a magician or something.

6 comments:

  1. My eye just twitched a little bit when I saw the word "wallpaper." Our house had (UGLY) wallpaper in 5 of the 7 rooms, and just a border in the other. We tore it all down and painted. Now I am prone to wallpaper-removal-related PTSD flashbacks. ;-)

    Good luck with your painting project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your detective work!

    Also, I'm a huge Pixies fan! I've seen them twice. Most recent was about 7 or 8 years ago so I need a refresher... Can't wait to see the (magically cleaned up) videos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Rebecca,
    thanks for stopping by my blog, and thanks so much for the info on that bottle dispenser, I would have never thought it's for booze dispensing.. thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you're carrying on that tradition! Very wise of you. I can't wait to see pics of the end result!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Pixies photos are great! Ah, can you tell I'm super behind (again?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah a classic decorating move. I chose to pay double on paint to thickly cover the vile wallpaper/sickly green that was once on my walls than do it properly. Enjoying your posts!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me something!